Stricter waste management legislation, changes in tax regimes and an increasing onus on sustainable development and the circular economy have resulted in a number of varied challenges for appropriate and cost effective waste management.
In developing and implementing solutions to these challenges, it is imperative to recognise the relationships between effective waste management and sustainable management of resources: waste management practices that focus on reuse, recycling and recovery over disposal significantly reduce the demands made on other resources thus embracing the fundamental principles of sustainable development and the circular economy.
Drawing upon a multidisciplinary team of experts, Ramboll Environment & Health applies specialist knowledge gained over more than four decades working with regulatory authorities, industrial customers and private and public organisations worldwide.Proposed developments – planning stages
- Assessment of wastes to be generated during construction and operation of a development
- Development of outline operational waste management strategies and design for proposed schemes
- Preparation and implementation of environmental management plans including waste management plans for both demolition and construction phases
- Characterisation and classification of waste materials eg excavated soils
- Facilitation of reuse of excavated soils via the CL:AIRE Code of Practice, including independent Qualified Person review and development of materials management plans
- Auditing of wastes generated
- Characterisation and classification of wastes
- Product life cycle/stewardship evaluations
- Assessment of by-products and advice on their reuse, recycling, recovery
- Hazardous, radioactive and solid waste management
- Development of operational waste management strategies to facilitate effective waste minimisation, reuse and recycling
- Auditing/assessment of wastes to be generated
- Development and implementation of decommissioning waste management strategies
- Development and implementation of decommissioning record and auditing system
- Delivery of verification report confirming compliance with decommissioning waste management strategy
- Masterplanning and strategy development
- Conceptual and detailed planning, design, construction and advisory services on waste treatment and disposal facilities and operations
- Landfill engineering
- Landfill development and redevelopment
- Operational assessment and environmental risk management (eg leachate management, emissions reduction by methane capture)
- Closure assessments
- Engineering design to facilitate closure and/or manage environmental risks (eg design of biocovers)
- Compliance auditing of waste related activities
- Support in preparation and submission of applications for waste permits, licences, licence exemptions for waste-related activities
- Liaise with regulators
- Review country-specific waste regulations (eg the country to which a waste shipment will be sent)
We work closely with clients to establish project goals early so that subsequent activities are directed toward their efficient, environmentally sound and timely resolution. Our track record of combining our risk-based skills with technology know-how has established us as a premier consultant in this arena.
We have a thorough, working knowledge of environmental regulations and critical issues that impact costs, public image and liabilities. Bringing together our knowledge of waste management practices in a broad range of industry and manufacturing sectors with our expertise in engineering, technology, risk assessment, product stewardship and sustainability enables us to develop cost-effective and sustainable waste management strategies that meet regulatory requirements and support the protection of public health and the environment.