The iconic elliptical glass and vertical garden-clad building will be an 18 storey mixed use development, comprising 125 luxury residential apartments, arranged across floors eight to sixteen, with presidential penthouses on the 17th floor.
On floors 8 and 19 will be the impressive ‘Spa’ element of the Ocean Spa complex. The resort decks will include hydro & thalassotherapy spa and lush tropical gardens that create a sumptuous retreat from the stress and pressures of everyday life.
One of the key elements of the design brief was to provide luxury high end accommodation to fit within the current facilities offering by Ocean Village, and to provide 8 storeys of new parking spaces which will serve both residents and public. Parking aside, Ocean Spa Plaza will host retail and commercial space on the ground to sixth floor, comprising of shell and core spaces, Category A offices, and a state of the art Ford car garage and showroom.
As part of the design team, Ramboll provided mechanical, electrical, structural, infrastructure, and fire engineering consultancy services. Ramboll also provided sophisticated wind analysis to help predict wind behaviour around the building.
As well as complying with the client’s requirements, the design includes a significant number of passive low energy design features and renewable energy technologies, which place the building on target to achieve a “B” rated Energy Performance Certificate (ratings are awarded between bands A and G).
Some of the many features integrated within this highly efficient building include:
- A high performance thermal envelope which will assist in minimising solar cooling loads.
- An extensive green wall façade which screens the car parks and provides privacy to the resort areas.
- The green wall is irrigated using an extensive rainwater recovery and distribution system.
A vertical west facing photo-voltaic solar panel array is used to generate renewable energy on site, this will reduce the need for grid supplied electricity.
- Heating and cooling provided via highly efficient air source heat pumps.
- We have maximised the use of natural ventilation within the car parks where appropriate.
- Energy efficient LED light sources, combined with intelligent lighting controls offer user flexibility and high energy savings.
- Sustainable water usage, with sea water used for toilet flushing and rainwater harvesting used for irrigation of the building’s landscaping.
- Provision of future electric vehicle charging points in the car park to encourage the use of electric vehicles in Gibraltar.