Providing luxury high end accommodation to compliment the current facilities offered by Ocean Village, Imperial Ocean Plaza, Gibraltar (IOPG) will comprise 116 luxury apartments, arranged across seventeen floors, with penthouses on the top floor. The new building will also host three retail units on the ground floor and five Category A commercial offices on the first floor. Once the building is finished, due in early 2019, the IOPG will complete the Ocean Village development.
Ramboll provided building services, structural engineering, infrastructure, geotechnical and ground contamination expertise.
The development is to be constructed on a brownfield site which suffered from historical contamination issues. Ramboll developed a remediation strategy to help discharge the Gibraltar planning requirements prior to commencement of construction.
The proximity of two existing 18 storey buildings directly adjacent to IOPG created further challenges. In particular, a full seismic analysis was required to ensure that the concrete structure provides sufficient resistance to movement resulting from earthquake and minimises the risk of damage to neighbouring buildings during a seismic event.
As with all Ocean Village developments, a number of passive low energy design features and renewable energy technologies are proposed. The energy strategy solutions employed place the building on target to achieve at least a B rated Energy Performance Certificate. Some of the many features integrated within this highly efficient building include:
- A high performance thermal envelope which will assist in minimising solar cooling loads.
- Heating and cooling provided via highly efficient air source heat pumps.
- Energy efficient LED light sources combined with intelligent lighting controls offer user flexibility and high energy savings.
- Maximised sustainable water usage, with sea water used for toilet flushing.
- Provision of electric vehicle charging points in the car park to encourage the use of electric vehicles in Gibraltar.