'One Valpy' is a 6000 m2 urban office space in Reading UK with significantly improved energy efficiency and ratings. Ramboll
One Valpy, a 6000 m2 office building in Reading was originally built in 1980 as a naturally ventilated office with a gas fired radiator heating system, no cooling and an EPC rating of F.
Ramboll was appointed by Landid/Brockton to not only design a modern mechanical and electrical building engineering system suitable for the twenty first century, but also to improve the energy efficiency of the building to an EPC rating of B. We were also appointed as the BREEAM assessors.
Working with the architects dn-a and the rest of the design team, the building was extended and extensively refurbished to incorporate a number of improvements including:
• Improved building fabric with additional internal insulation
• Improved double glazed opening windows
• New, radiator based low temperature hot water system with high efficiency condensing boilers.
• New, chilled beam cooling system fed by roof mounted air cooled chillers providing background cooling.
• New, low energy LED lighting system for both the offices and the toilets and core. Both the lighting and chilled beams have been integrated into an exposed services layout.• New, power distribution system fed from both floor and perimeter trunking.
The building was commissioned and completed in October 2014 achieving an EPC rating of B and a BREEAM rating of “Very Good” at 63%.
From April 2018 UK landlords will not be able to let energy inefficient buildings with EPC ratings of F or G. Valpy shows how this challenge can be met and overcome.Ramboll were Mechanical, Electrical and Energy Engineers for this project.