Contact Andrew Parris
T: +44 23 8081 7500
Andrew is Project Director in Ramboll’s Civil Structures team with responsibility for the assessment and construction of road and rail projects, design of bridge and transportation structures, and management of multi-disciplinary design teams.
Andrew’s technical experience includes the design of bridges (reinforced concrete, pre-stressed pre and post-tensioned concrete and steel composite), retaining walls, bored pile-walls, diaphragm walls, reinforced earth walls and other civil engineering structures. He also has experience in: the technical approval of highway and railway bridges to international design standards; the assessment, inspection and strengthening of modern and historic bridges; monitoring of both road and rail bridges; and high speed rail bridge engineering in an earthquake zone.
Recent projects include:
- Project Director responsible for leading the detail design phase of a 2km relief road to the UK village of Shinfield and new bridge over the M4. Responsible for the overall success of the project, leading diverse teams covering highways, bridges, geotechnics and environment. Specialist bridge design input. £15m D&B project.
- Discipline Director for substructures and bearings for the major Phase 2 strengthening works to the Hammersmith Flyover, London. This was a £80m D&B scheme undertaken as part of Transport for London's Structures and Tunnels Investment Portfolio involving a 622m long post-tensioned spine beam bridge supported on single columns and pad foundations. Responsible for:
- Developing solutions for permanent and temporary strengthening of pier bases
- Developing the bearing replacement strategy to maintain the integrity of the bridge and ensure stability
- Liaising with FMEA lead and PD to determine jacking methodology
- Preparing the bearing specification and liaising with the German bearing supplier over various technical matters and paint protection
- Reviewing bearing test data and answering site technical queries.
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park Bridge F03. Led the successful bid and Cat II checking of the structural modifications to the existing temporary structure to make permanent with a new in-situ concrete deck. £3m D&B scheme.
Shinfield Eastern Relief Road, M4 overbridge
Shinfield Eastern Relief Road (ERR) forms part of a scheme that will relieve congestion in the village of Shinfield in Berkshire, and also provide access to land for development of new housing and a science park for the University of Reading.
Hammersmith Flyover - Phase 2 refurbishment and strengthening (HFO2)
Phase 2 strengthening of the Hammersmith Flyover (HFO2), was a phenomenally complex £100m programme including innovative engineering solutions to install a full new prestress without removing the original. With 70,000 users every day on a key strategic route into London, the structure, which had been deteriorating due to significant corrosion, presented many technical, logistical, programme and political challenges.