Senior/Principal Resident Engineer
Ramboll UK is looking for a Structural/Civil engineer to join our Cambridge team as a Senior/Principal Site based Resident Engineer. This is a fix term contract position for the duration of 20 months on a full-time basis (40 hours a week).
Ramboll is a leading engineering, design and consultancy company founded in Denmark in 1945. With close to 14,000 experts in 35 countries, including 1,200 in the UK, we emphasise local experience combined with a global knowledge-base.
Owned by the Ramboll Foundation and our staff, high ethical standards as well as responsibility towards society and employees are ingrained in our cultural DNA. Ramboll was value-based long before it came into fashion and we live our values every day. We constantly strive to achieve inspiring and exacting solutions that make a genuine difference to our customers, end-users and society as a whole.
About the role
Ramboll UK is seeking a Structural/Civil engineer to join our Cambridge team as a Senior/Principal Resident Engineer. This is a 100% site based position.
The Resident Engineer role will be to oversee the civil and structural construction quality of the Cavendish III and Shared Facilities Hub buildings for the University of Cambridge. The projects are part of a single contract of £250m value and are on the West Cambridge site.
Cavendish III will be the new home for the Department of Physics at University of Cambridge, featuring world-class research and teaching facilities. The department is one of the most prominent Physics research institutions in the world and is renowned for fundamental discoveries such as the discovery of the electron and the structure of DNA. The new building has been designed to provide laboratories that will bring about the next generation of physics research.
Shared Facilities Hub is a dynamic, flexible student hub building incorporating teaching and meeting rooms, learning resource areas, catering outlets and offices.
Main Role Responsibilities
- Monitor construction progress and quality through visual inspections
- Refer to drawings and specifications and other contract documents for compliance
- Be proactive on site to try to avoid quality issues before they occur
- Liaise with design team members to resolve issues
- Liaise with Contractor/Sub-contractor, Engineer and Client to agree solutions
- Produce sketches/drawings as necessary to convey solutions, if appropriate
- Maintain clear records for all proposed changes and review with the Contract Supervisor
- Attend site meetings
- Produce daily site record and weekly report for issue to the client team
Required qualifications, skills and knowledge
- Significant period of experience in site-based construction quality roles
- In-depth knowledge of construction processes, in particular concrete construction
- Full appreciation of sequence, health and safety, and management procedures
- Rigorous approach to quality management, including maintaining records and reporting
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to establish good working relationships with contractors to facilitate good client-contractor communication and cooperation
- Excellent communication skills and ability to explain technical issues to non-technical individuals including clients
- Experience in reporting at client meetings to the appropriate level of detail
- Appropriate qualifications such as Member of the Chartered Institute of Building, or similar
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Excellent career growth and development opportunities
- Be part of a dynamic, expanding team in a rapidly growing sector within the UK
Ramboll is an equal opportunity employer
You must have eligibility to work in the UK