Graduate Mechanical Engineer (Building Services) - Graduate Recruitment 2019
Our Chester office is looking for a talented Graduate Engineer to contribute to the design of our exciting range of projects, working in Mechanical and Public Health Engineering, High Performance Building Design (HPBD) / Build Physics, Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Sustainability Roles within the building services team in 2019.
As engineers, we are in a unique position to help shape sustainable development in the world. In particular, achieving carbon savings and supporting the creation of sustainable communities through exemplar project delivery. At Ramboll we thrive on innovation and technical excellence.
In addition to the opportunity of working with exceptional engineers every day on varied and ground breaking projects, we pride ourselves on offering a structured development program from your first day as a graduate, through your role as a Design Engineer, to the day you become a Chartered Engineer and beyond. All graduates are partnered with a mentor to guide you through your journey with Ramboll.
Ramboll’s services cover all facets of engineering design in the built environment and graduates have the opportunity to rotate through many roles in their journey to becoming a well-rounded and valuable engineer. Roles include mechanical and public health Engineering, building physics, Building Information Modelling (BIM), energy and water strategies, Part L and EPC modelling, façade optimisation, parametric modelling, plant optimisation modelling, BREEAM, LEED, WELL and Sustainability advisor roles. Ramboll’s multi-disciplinary offering means that graduates in the Building Services team work closely with structural engineers, civil engineers, environmental consultants, fire specialists, acousticians, transport planners and archaeologists, further broadening their understanding of design within the built environment.
Ramboll offer approved training and development schemes with CIBSE, IMechE and the IET to give graduates the support they need to gain Chartership. On average, our graduates achieve chartered status two years ahead of industry standards.
Our Graduate Network offers a vibrant social community for young engineers, while our Charity Panel gives engineers the opportunity to get involved with charitable and development projects in the UK and around the work. Ramboll also provides opportunities for site placements.
Ramboll is a leading engineering, design and consultancy company founded in Denmark in 1945. With close to 13,000 experts in 35 countries, including 1,200 in the UK, we emphasise local experience combined with a global knowledge-base.
Ramboll company culture, which is in evidence from the first time you step through the door, is based on open communication and the cherishing of innovation and proactivity. Our offices are open plan and our teams multi-disciplinary - with members from all levels, graduate to director - so in-depth involvement in projects is immediate. The company supports a wide range of other activities, such as sports groups, design presentations, charitable activities, competitions, excursions, talks by guest speakers and industry events.
Owned by the Ramboll Foundation and our staff, high ethical standards as well as responsibility towards society and employees are ingrained in our cultural DNA. Ramboll was value-based long before it came into fashion and we live our values every day. We constantly strive to achieve inspiring and exacting solutions that make a genuine difference to our customers, end-users and society as a whole.
Main Role Responsibilities
- Follow the company training scheme, fulfilling objectives to assist personal development and provide a basis for future progression within the company and supporting attainment of professional membership
- Work within a team under the supervision of Senior Engineers
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams with clients, Developers, project managers, Architects, structural engineers, civil engineers, environmental consultants, fire specialists and acousticians
- Contribute and get involved with local, national and international projects
- Work and develop skills in Mechanical and Public Health Engineering Design
- Work and develop skills in High Performance Building Design such as thermal modelling, façade optimisation and energy and water strategies
- Work and develop skills in sustainability benchmarking methodologies such as BREEAM, LEED and WELL
- Work and develop skills in Building Information Modelling (BIM) such as using Revit software to develop system design and technical models
- Work and develop skills in drawing production including how to communicate design information on drawings and skills in AutoCAD
- Work and develop skills in the development of engineering calculations using both our company design software but also first principle applications
Required qualifications, skills and knowledge
- Good relevant degree accredited by the Engineering Council or other equivalent FEANI approved body - minimum 2:1 and above - in Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering or Building Services Engineering
- Be an excellent communicator capable of explaining complex engineering principles in plain language, both verbally and in writing
- Proven and competent in the subject matter of the assignment and able to work independently with intermittent supervision
- Be proactive in addressing problem issues, presenting and pushing solutions
- Ability to organise and conduct several activities simultaneously
- Build relationships with individuals from other organisations
- Familiar with a range of engineering software including IESVE, Autocad, Revit, Radiance, Rhino, Grasshopper, DIVA and 3DS Max (beneficial but not essential)
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits, including, but not limited to, 25 days annual leave, company phone, laptop, private medical insurance, pension and income protection insurance
- Excellent career growth and development opportunities
- Opportunities to work internationally with regular overseas secondments available
- Be part of a dynamic, expanding team in a rapidly growing sector within the UK
- High level of exposure to international expertise in the sector and opportunity to work on international projects
- A professional and friendly senior team committed to your professional development and progression within the company
Ramboll is an equal opportunity employer
You must have the eligibility to work in the UK