Principal Electrical Engineer
Ramboll has ambitious growth plans in the UK and its new Leeds office is central to these growth plans. Ramboll aspires to grow their UK Building Services team by 30% over the next few years. Part of the strategy is to strengthen the offices multidisciplinary offering by growing the established MEP Team who enjoy repeat business from many clients.
Consequently, Ramboll is looking for a talented and motivated Principal Electrical Engineer to join our successful Building Services team in Leeds and lead the electrical engineers. This is an exciting position with great opportunity to influence the success of our team.
The Ramboll building services team in Leeds shares a modern city centre office with multidisciplinary engineers and consultants, totalling 60 staff. The team has delivered successful projects in the higher/further education, healthcare and commercial sectors. We are currently involved with several high profile local and international projects for clients including the university of Leeds, University of Sheffield, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, Harrogate Borough Jersey Airport and Hillerod Hospital in Denmark.
Ramboll is a leading engineering, design and consultancy company founded in Denmark in 1945. With 13,350 experts in 35 countries, including 1,200 in the UK, we emphasise local experience combined with a global knowledge-base.
Owned by the Ramboll Foundation and our staff, high ethical standards as well as responsibility towards society and employees are ingrained in our cultural DNA. Ramboll was value-based long before it came into fashion and we live our values every day. We constantly strive to achieve inspiring and exacting solutions that make a genuine difference to our customers, end-users and society as a whole.
Main Role Responsibilities
- Undertake technical leadership for the electrical services within the Leeds Building Services Department
- Establish best practice for the electrical services engineers and provide technical mentoring, coaching and guidance to improve skills base and knowledge
- Promote innovative technical design solutions and have a recognised portfolio of experience that demonstrates strong technical accumen
- Provide project leadership within electrical services engineering and technically review and quality assure the work produced by the electrical engineering group
- Establish skills matrices for the electrical engineers and document growth and development plans to meet the current and future requirements of the department
- Understand the client’s values and project requirements. Scope and plan project delivery accordingly to meet and exceed the clients expectations
- Undertake day to day project leadership and participation and provide high quality design solutions to meet the requirements of the project and the projects deliverables
- Plan, undertake, coordinate, and manage electrical design work on projects to programme
- Manage, communicate and deliver client solutions which are considered and optimised
- Manage discipline workflow and team delivery to agreed quality and programme
- Communicate the developing electrical design to the wider project team and agree appropriate technical solutions to meet the client brief and projects requirements
- Have cognisance of the commercial parameters and plan and execute the required work flow within approved and agreed budgets
- Work in a digital engineering environment, designing in 3D in accordance with BIM execution plans.
- Assist with the preparation of fee proposals, bids and contract documentation
- Understanding of financial arrangements for projects including resource planning, cost control and project delivery programming
- Relevant degree in Electrical Engineering, Building Services Engineering or equivalent qualification
- Chartered Engineer or will have gained sufficient experience to obtain full membership of an appropriate professional institution in the future
- Experience from undertaking a similar role managing a group of electrical engineers
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Solid technical knowledge of Electrical Engineering and general understanding of other building services disciplines and multi-disciplinary design
- Strong commercial acumen and ability to delivery profitable projects via proactive project delivery and client communication
- Strong technical and functional skills
- Have been engaged in the local market and have a demonstrable ability to help influence work winning
- Previous experience of BIM and ability to oversee the production of design information with Revit is essential.
- Have a thirst for engineering excellence and a desire to develop themselves and others to be at the cutting edge of industry knowledge
- Have a track record of delivering projects
- An excellent communicator and team player, who enjoys having fun
- Excellent interpersonal skills, confident, professional and able to negotiate positive outcomes with clients and staff when required
- Possess skills and aptitude to provide guidance, share knowledge, motivate and manage junior colleagues
- Demonstrate pride in their work, through high quality and accurate timely delivery
- Be able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload to ensure timescales are met
- Ability to work on own initiative, but also seek assistance when required
- Willingness to develop personal skills and basic knowledge in other engineering disciplines
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holidays, private medical insurance, life assurance and group income protection. In addition, we offer a comprehensive flexible benefits package including childcare vouchers, gym membership, dental insurance, cycle to work scheme, travel insurance, discounts in a vast range of restaurants and shops and many more!
- Excellent career growth and development opportunities
- Be part of a dynamic and growing team in and exciting forward-thinking organisation which is growing within the UK
- A vibrant, inspiring and fun culture, based on innovation, flexibility and wellbeing
Ramboll UK is an equal opportunities employer
You must have eligibility to work in the UK